This is a classic combination of two wonderful flavors blending together in perfect harmony. "Prosciutto" in Italian means ham. It is a cured meat and some of the best comes from Parma in Italy. Serve this as a starter or unique side dish.
Time To Cook:
All cooking levels: 5 minutes
Sexy Factoid: Asparagus has been misclassified as an aphrodisiac. It's not. People used to think the shape of a fruit or veggie was a clue as to what part of the body it would help. Anything with a phallic shape, well that must be an aphrodisiac! But don't worry, asparagus has plenty of other benefits. It's low in calories and jam packed with vitamins A, B and C.
• 4 oz of fresh asparagus, bottoms trimmed
• 2 slices of lean prosciutto or ham
• Slices of Parmesan cheese, to garnish
• Medium stock pot
Preparation (Do it!)
1) Boil or steam the asparagus until just tender. It should only take a few minutes. The less you cook your vegetables, the more nutrients you retain.
2) Drain the asparagus and dry it with paper towels.
3) Cut the slices of prosciutto lengthwise into long strips and wrap the asparagus. Leave the tip of the asparagus head exposed and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch at the bottom exposed.
4) Add Parmesan cheese just before serving.
You can make this in advance. Wrap with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator until needed.